History of Capezzana
Wines have been cultivated in Carmignano since pre-Roman era, about 3000 years ago, as the wine jars and tasting cups found in Etruscan tombs testify. In the Florentine state archives a parchment dated A.D. 804 was found: it is a lease document showing that vines and olives were cultivated for the production of wine and oil at Capezzana as far back as 1200 years ago.
In 1475, during the early Renaissance, Monna Nera Bonaccorsi built the first 'Nobleman's house' along with nine farm houses with the wine-making buildings. Other generations and families were to follow in the ownership of the property: the Cantucci, related to Medici, and the Marchesi Bourbon del Monte. In the eighteenth century a lady from the Cantucci family, married to a Bourbon, enlarged the farm and bought new plots. She also introduced an exemplary administrative approach, leaving a wealth of documents that are today stored in the historic archives of the company.
After the Bourbon del Monte, the estate passed to the Adimari Morelli, then to Franchetti and Rothschild and finally, via the widow Sara de Rothschild, to the Contini Bonacossi, our family, in 1920.